Hen squawking periodically (Gross Picture)

Zenzilicious

Chirping
Jun 4, 2022
Bucks County PA
Hello!

Easter Egger Hen was squawking when I went outside to feed them today. She looked very lethargic and let me pick her up (abnormal).

I noticed her vent area was very poopy. I soaked her bottom in a bucket of water and tried to clean a bit, but she was flappy like mad. There's still muck down there. I know poopy butt was an issue when they were chicks, I've cleaned a couple bums- but I didn't think older chickens had that issue, did they?

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_225202478.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220915_225202478.MP.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 23
hmm. that's what my hen's butt looked like. she didn't squawk at all though. she died about 1/2 month afterwards. I never found out what it was she died from. show more pics please. @casportpony do you have any idea? please tag anyone else who might know!
oh, and @Zenzilicious pray for her. sometimes that's the only thing that helps after treatment.

You need to clean her up, get someone to help you clean her messy bottom, one person holds, the other cleans. If that doesn't work try and wrap her in a towel (not too tight), leaving her bottom exposed to clean, someone should probably hold her if she's in the towel.

Hello!

Easter Egger Hen was squawking when I went outside to feed them today. She looked very lethargic and let me pick her up (abnormal).

I noticed her vent area was very poopy. I soaked her bottom in a bucket of water and tried to clean a bit, but she was flappy like mad. There's still muck down there. I know poopy butt was an issue when they were chicks, I've cleaned a couple bums- but I didn't think older chickens had that issue, did they?

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Is there a bad odor or maggots? If there is, then use soapy water to wash her bum really well and get rid of all the maggots.

Work in stages and let her rest in between. Electrolytes or a little sugar water would be good.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?

You need to clean her up, get someone to help you clean her messy bottom, one person holds, the other cleans. If that doesn't work try and wrap her in a towel (not too tight), leaving her bottom exposed to clean, someone should probably hold her if she's in the towel.
Thankis for the towel trick, I was able to clean her easily!

Is there a bad odor or maggots? If there is, then use soapy water to wash her bum really well and get rid of all the maggots.

Work in stages and let her rest in between. Electrolytes or a little sugar water would be good.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?
I didn't see any maggots, just lots of poop.
She hasn't laid an egg yet. We got her in May, so she should start laying soon-ish, but not yet.

She is looking better. Haven't heard any sqauwking yet. However, have her seperated in our quarantine coop & run for now until we are sure.

She seemed to be doing better, she was sitting up, walking around and this morning I found her passed away :(

I saw a couple posts about Nutridench killing chickens. We put poultry cell in out water, we have since chicks. Could that be contributing?
I'm so sorry she didn't make it.:hugs
I really don't think Nutri-Drench would kill a chicken.
How much poultry cell do you put in the water?

Back
Top Bottom