hen stamping around nestbox

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by domtracey, Mar 15, 2012.

1. domtracey

domtracey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    london UK
    i have a magpie chicken around 20weeks old saw her today stamping and clearing out the nestbox and scratching the floor of the nestbox she was stampeding all of the nestbox and floor, i have neaver seen her like this she hasent started to lay yet is this her wanting to lay a egg for me i noticed her bottem feathers contracting but when i went back to her after 3 hours she was in the run and acting normal and no sign of a egg :(

dose anyone know what she was doing or is she just a mad chicken on a mission of destruction

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A lot of pullets before they start to lay will throw nesting materials around sometime clearing of the nest box. That is normal behavior. There has been some debate as to why they do this..

3. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    When one of my girls first started to lay, she would stuff straw under her wings... I thought that was very strange!

4. domtracey

Feb 8, 2012
    london UK
    well no sign of a egg of her yet :( and havent seen her stamping around again

5. domtracey

Feb 8, 2012
    london UK
    just an update a week later she layed her first egg :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by