Hen stand off lol

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by my5hens, Dec 8, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I heard my girls making a terrible screeching noise this afternoon, all 4 of them at once. I went out to see what the heck was going on and they were all in their coop screaming at a poor little blue jay that flew into their coop to sneak some of their food. They had him cornered too. Funny but I couldn't help but feel bad for the blue jay.

Don't mess with their food!

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

LOL, We'll see if he comes back!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good for your hens. Don't feel sorry for the Jay as they have been known to snatch chicks.

4. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Oh really? Wow I heard Jays can be aggressive but I didn't know they snatched baby chicks!

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Funny. I had a Jay experience yesterday too. I had let the hens out into the yard and a Western Scrub Jay was in the yard doing his thing. My two Blue Andalusian's were FASCINATED by him. They were totally quiet and carefully walked up to him getting closer and closer. He let them get nearly a foot away from him before he flew off. And they looked so disappointed.

He came back and they did the same thing. Although this time, my HUGE Jersey Giant who is the Alpha Hen in Charge, charged over and chased him off. She doesn't like competition.

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Lol! That's funny!

I have experiences with Jays, too, and they are not the greatest experiences, either. A Jay once snatched 3 of Belle's chicks. One by one. 3 out of 6 chicks got killed that way. [​IMG]

But our chickens are killing sparrows that get trapped in the run. Poor lil birdies!

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Our chickens can be fierce, can't they? [​IMG] My girls don't like when the doves come down for a snack, they always chase them away! But, I understand how you feel sorry for the poor bird caught in their coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by