Hen standing like a penguin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiplingchick, Mar 22, 2015.

1. kiplingchick

kiplingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Central NC
    4 yr old red star. Two weeks of poopy butt. I have given her two warm bath/soaks trying to clean her up. She eats a little, but does not get up on the roost at night to sleep.

What do you think it is?
    What else can I do to help her?
    Or is it time to end her suffering?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would think that by her stance she is eggbound...try giving her frequent bathing and massage her underside towards her back end to encourage any egg(s) to pass..I would also give her some vitamin D3 ( calcium ) ...you can use tums..if you have any available... when you bathe her..ensure that she is in deep enough warm water to cover her wings..she should relax...a 15-20 minute soak is ideal to help her body to relax...she will need drying after...you can use a warm hairdryer and keep her in a warm environment after...

Hope she recovers!

3. kiplingchick

kiplingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Central NC
    I did a twenty minute warm soak this afternoon. So far, it has only resulted in a big stinky poop! I tried massaging her underside while she soaked. So tar her posture is the same, and she waddles from one resting spot to the next. Will soak her again tomorrow!

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Bless you..we can only try to help them...yes, poop does accompany our best efforts! Hope you are wearing protective gloves...betadine in the water is also a good idea..helps with any potential infection issues...

5. unicornia

unicornia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ
    I have a chicken right now with the same trouble.... no luck yet for me either. It seems these problems in older chickens are more common (mine is 3 years old). And no one seems to have any answers.... ??? Not sure why.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  7. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    Poor hen. Stop her suffering and just sacrifice her.

8. unicornia

unicornia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ
    Thank you Eggcessive! You gave me a great lead, the backyard chickens thread on egg yolk peritonitis nailed it. All my Whitie's symptoms are there. Now, as for medicine.... the Duramycin-10 is recommended? Tetracyline hydrochloride soluble powder? Thank you again!!!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Her belly looks like it's full of fluid. Google ascites in poultry and see if it fits. Of course she could have EYP and ascites, but I think she's standing like that because her belly if full of fluid. If she does have an infection, something like Baytril or Cipro would be best.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by