hen standing upright, listless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gonda, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I have a hen, heritage bird, less than two years old. A few weeks ago, she was sitting around looking droopy and had that hunkered down posture, very puffy. I noticed then that she had a dirty bottom (white/grey stuff), never saw any diarrhea or blood. She's had a bare back for about 6 months, I thought at first it was the rooster doing that, then thought she might be molting as all my hens were not laying well. I put DE in the nesting boxes and on the shavings weekly, and in the food, as prevention for worms and mites/lice. When I noticed she and another hen were listless and had dirty bottoms a few weeks ago, I started putting more DE in the food and added colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar to the water. They both picked up nicely.

Now this one is listless again, but not droopy in that puffy hunkered down posture. This time, she's sitting or actually standing straight up, constantly. She's sitting in the same place a lot of the time, staying inside. Her eyes are bright, her comb is a nice pink and straight. She sleeps a fair bit with her head tucked in her neck and her head was twitching a fair bit this morning. She wakes up easily then settles back to sleep, standing straight up. I saw her drinking the other day but am not sure if she's still eating/drinking. I've put the DE in the food again and colloidal silver in the water, but I don't know if she's getting any of that. She's been like this for a few days now. She is still bare backed. I think she's been laying even in the last few days yet. Her stomach is soft. I can't ever feel her crop. No nasal or eye discharge. Any idea what might be going on?

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I had a hen that was egg bound and had similar symptoms. Are you sure this hen is laying?
    If she lets you pick her up can you take a look at her vent?
    There is a lot of information on the boards for hens that are egg bound. Hope yours is not.
    Best.

3. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I'm fairly sure she's laying as she lays a distinct coloured egg, different than the others. Her lower abdomen is soft. I did see her eating this morning and she's moving around a bit, but keeps settling into that upright posture with her neck rounded, head tucked into her neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by