1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen starting to sneeze

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Its actually cute...Like a tiny polite little achoo haha, but in all seriousness her nose is not running, her comb is not pail, and this is not normal for her.
    What should I be looking for, or what should I do if she gets worse?

2. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I am glad you asked this, my hens are doing the same thing. It does sound cute, like your hens mine do not have a runny nose either.
    Hopefully some one will give us some direction.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I hope so, because where I am its getting colder so if its a little hen cold I want to know what to look for.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sneezing can be as simple as getting food or dust in their nostrils or be a hugh problem like MG/MS. [​IMG] Watch your hens for any drainage, Slinging their heads to remove clear or cloudy mucous. Watch their behavior for fatigue.
    I lost a whole flock due to a starting of sneezing . It was MS. If they had lived they would have been carryers and infective to any other hens I got forever. I cleanned out the entire flock and disinfected. [​IMG] I waited for three months before I got a new start with chicks. I now use Denaguard for my new flock from birth. It is suppose to prevent or treat MS. Hens can get it from bird droppings, other hens , hatching eggs or have it from birth and not show it until stressed. I hope and pray you do not have to do what I did. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'm not an expert by any means but I would watch carefully for any signs of listlessness/lack of energy and puffing up. Also, listen carefully for any wheezing sound as she's breathing (don't pick her up, just stay close and listen). Watch not just for a pale comb but for a darkening purple-tinged comb which may mean she's not getting enough oxygen. You may have a respiratory problem on your hands. If so, it can move FAST. I'd be ready with an antibiotic just in case.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Could be respiratory.. If it is, you will see it spread to the others. [​IMG] It could also be dust/dirt in nose as well.

Chickens do not get colds. [​IMG]

7. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:When you say you cleaned out your entire flock do you mean that you killed them? I've been studying respiratory problems in chickens and learning as much as I can. Another option to killing the flock would be to close it, yes? (I realize that not everyone has the room to do that or the desire to.)

I will never buy another pullet or hen that's past POL again because you never know their history and what they might be carrying. I bought some pullets just past POL and quarantined them for 30 days, still I believe they carried a respiratory illness to my flock. I only lost one bird but it was a stressful, harrying experience. From here on out, I'll be raising chicks.

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hu, dont get colds, well thats a good thing I guess...
    I did just change the coop bedding so im now hoping shes just getting dust out of her nose...

9. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Sadly, it's not a good thing because it means that a respiratory problem is likely serious. [​IMG] I'm hoping with you that it's just a bit of sneezing due to dust.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yes I had my whole flock culled. [​IMG]:hit:hit I knew it was for the best. They were sick and did not get better. I had two to die quit quickly. MS causes them to have something like arthritus after it is controled. They were in pain. I did what I felt was best for all of us.
    Remember most of the resp. problems chickens get are theirs for life even when the symptoms are not there any more. I understand that Denaguard is the best preventative or control. If I caught it now in my young flock I would use the Denaguard to beat it down and not cull the flock like I did before.
    A closed flock is ok but it can be spread by birds and rodents from your flock to other flocks. Also on your clothing. It was a morally right thing for me to do at the time. I hope I never have it here again.
    I understand none of the hatcheries will guarantee a MS free flock even from chicks or eggs. I do not know why they will not check for it. It would make it easier on us to have a clean flock. I am NPIP approved and had them check my hens when it started, is how I found out what was killing them. So far this time my flock is clean. It seems to strike or appear when we have sudden changes in weather or something stresses the hens. I had done two or three things different last yr.
    I did not have as much air circulation in the coop( i was afraid of drafts) and I kept their water on a 40 watt bulb to prevent freezing. The water stayed a bit warm. I think bacteria grew and spread rapidly. This year I have done neither. If I use the warmmer It will be with a 15 watt bulb later in the winter. No heat lights either. Our chickens are fowl like birds and can tolerate cooler temps than we think. My Mom never used lights, warmers etc. Hers stayed healthy. Learn from my mistakes [​IMG] Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by