Hen staying in nesting box... But NO eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvinmychickens, Oct 29, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a Splash Ameracauna. Shes around a year old. She has gave us many eggs, since we had her (We got her when she was 11 months... Along with a Black Ameraucana.). But a while ago. She wasn't laying any eggs. She would just stay in the nesting box ALL day! She would get out to eat, drink, etc. But that's it. Now... Not only does she keep the plastic egg warm all day, every day, she SLEEPS in there! And not a single egg out of her. She doen't touch either of the roosts (We have two... Thats plenty of room for 6 hens). Does she wanna be a mother ot something???? Is she being REALLY broody? But even if she did, she's still not laying anything. I don't know what to do! [​IMG] We don't breed, and we are only aloud to have 6 hens (That's what we have.. We aren't aloud to have any roosters), so does she just want her own chicks?????

We are thinking she might need to find a different home, if she keeps this up..

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yes, she's broody. They do not lay when they are broody. You could buy fertilized eggs from someone else to put under her, give her infertile eggs for a while and then swap them out for day old chicks after about a week or so, or try to break her broodyness....

3. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    The problem is, is that we can't have any more chickens.... We have our limit.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You can always sell the chicks....

Or, just try to break her of her broodyness. I've done that with a bath and then separating the hen for a few days. Others have said putting them in a wire cage, up off the ground so the cool air hits their behind. Also, moving birds will do the trick most of the time, put her in a crate, take her for a nice long, bumpy ride in the car, and then put her in unfamiliar accommodations when you get back home....

5. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Should we try to seperate her from the others.. In a room with no nesting box to break the broodiness?

6. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    You could put some fertilized eggs under her for her to hatch and then sell the chicks when they are ready.....she gets over her broodiness and you make some money...win/win [​IMG]

7. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Alright... We are starting to think we are going to get a fertilized egg for her.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:You need to get at least a few, lots of things can happen during incubation. Plus, if you try to sell it afterward, there's not a lot of people who are going to want to buy just one chick....

9. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:You need to get at least a few, lots of things can happen during incubation. Plus, if you try to sell it afterward, there's not a lot of people who are going to want to buy just one chick....

Okay...

10. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Where can we find the eggs? Our feed store doesn't have....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by