Hen still skinny from day 1 of owning an still hasn't laid a single egg. No problems though.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ProdigyMCluckin, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ProdigyMCluckin

ProdigyMCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    My Red Sex Link hen Peach never gets fat an has stayed somewhat skinny from the day I bought her to today. She's never had a single problem, besides the mites I recently removed, and she eats just the same as the others. She's also never laid a single egg, when I first got her she was obviously not old enough to lay but now its been more than a year an still no egg, she definitely grew old enough to lay eggs but that was during winter, winters over now but still no eggs. Anyone know what could be keeping her from laying eggs and staying skinny?
    :confused:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worms, mites, and diseases such a coccidiosis can decrease laying. I would also make sure that you are feeding a qusality 16% layer feed, giving oyster shell on the side. She also could be laying internally, but would appear ill eventually. The most common thing is that she is laying eggs somewhere out of the coop which is common. Make sure that you have more than 1 feeder far apart so that she can eat without being bullied away from the food. Pick her up and feed her some scrambled egg for awhile, and she might start looking better.

3. ProdigyMCluckin

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    I forgot to mention that she's been like this for over a year. She doesn't get bullied by the other hens and I'm 100% she never layed an egg because they live in a normal backyard an eggs laying around would be very easy to see.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Has she ever been dewormed?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible she might not even be able to produce eggs internally for some reason or another, perhaps a genetic defect of some sort.

6. ProdigyMCluckin

Jan 10, 2014
    Houston Pasadena Texas
    Thats definately a possibility... I guees only time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by