Hen stopped laying...acting tired and won't eat much

HaleyKrueger

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
My 3 year old Australorpe Miss Marple, began laying in late Feb early March.
5-4 weeks back we realized that she isn't crouching anymore, and have since never seen her lay. Seems like she didn't lay for very long, maybe a week or two.
She doesn't seem as interested in our feed as usual, and I find her sitting around a lot, sometimes looking puffed up. Her crop is fine, though like I mentioned before she's not eating much. Usually her crop is PACKED by the end of the day. Recently all it's been empty, though I see her eat grass and she still feverishly eats treats like tuna and yogurt. She doesn't seem egg-bound, I did all the procedures for that - it's been a while now and I'm just not quite sure what's going on. I've been giving her nurtidrench by mouth sporadically for the last few weeks.

From what I can gather perhaps she isn't getting correct nutrients? She has access to feed, free range, oyster shells, and grit everyday. Sometimes our nesting boxes are crowded, maybe we need another one? But that doesn't explain her semi-lazy behavior. Maybe she's just looks lazier than the rest of the young ones, but again she's puffed up every so often.
The weather has been nice and warm here, and our chicken hygiene is spot on. Perhaps something internally is bothering her that's unidentifiable.

Any ideas?

Maybe she is egg bound? This had been going on for like a month now, and I'm having a really hard time telling if there is an egg in there.

Back
Top Bottom