Hen stopped laying after getting attacked.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephanie-hall, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Stephanie-hall

Stephanie-hall Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    One of my hens got in a hen fight maybe week ago, she got all the feathers on her head were ripped out and she was a mess, her eye was swollen shut and a big scab on her head near her comb. Scabs gone now her eye is fine her feathers are coming back. When we first found here all bald and glossy we moved her out of the hen house and into a clean spot in the house, she's still here I don't want to Luther back outside with the other hens and roosters till her feathers are back, she hasn't produced an egg since the day of the fight and I'm concerned that she may be sicker then I first thought. I'd like advice before I start running to the vet and rack up a bill for me to have not been concerned in the first place... I'm still new to chicken ownership and I'm only 20 I love my babies a lot and hate when they don't get along. Please and thank you for any advice I get.

Stephanie

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    That had happened to one of my chickens. She'll eventually lay again. Give her time.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

You did the right thing separating her. When her feathers return, you may need to reintroduce her slowly as though she were a new hen. I agree that eggs will return. [​IMG]

4. Stephanie-hall

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    Thank you so much! I was just worried about her having an egg stuck or something she's one of my really pretty polish mix hens and we've already lost one of our roosters, and our only frizzle she had a tumor and we had to put her down last year. So I get really freaked out when something bad happens.

Stephanie

5. brit57

brit57 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Michigan City
    My hen got attacked by the neigherbors dog and it took her a bit but after her feathers started growing back she was laying regularly

6. Stephanie-hall

Sep 27, 2011
    Sacramento
    Happy to say she's growing all her head feathers back. She's one irritated chicken and pecks at me if I'm not careful around her, I'm not upset at her cuz I know its uncomfortable for her to have all those pin feathers comeing in at once. Is there anything I can do to help sooth the skin around the new feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by