Hen stopped laying and has runny poo??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpaghettiJo, Aug 29, 2017.

1. SpaghettiJo

SpaghettiJo Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    IMG_3260.JPG One of my girls, wilma, started laying about a week or so ago, laid about 3-4 eggs, and then stopped, and hasn't laid one since.. I have been gone on vacation and just got back a couple of days ago, our chicken sitter kept an "egg log" and listed all the egg colors and quantity of each.. she didn't lay any while we were gone.. today I took her out of the run and was letting her free roam alone and when she went poo, it was an orangish color.. I'll attach a photo.. but other than that, I haven't seen anything else telling... if anyone has any ideas?? They would be very much appreciated!!

2. BirdHead

BirdHead Songster

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    Don't give her any water, seperate her and drop her poo again and if it don't get drier then maybe a digestive issue.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is every poop like this?
    Looks like normal cecal poop to me. Chickens will have 1 cecal poop out of every 8-10 "normal poops". Poop can vary greatly in color, texture and form depending on diet, weather and other factors.

It's not unusual for a pullet to stop laying for several days to a couple of weeks after they begin laying. Observing her behavior would be important. Check to see that she is drinking plenty of water and eating, has oyster shell free choice and that her crop is emptying overnight. If you see signs of illness like lethargy, difficulty breathing, limping, etc., then you would need to investigate further.
    Here's some information on poop along with photos for your reading enjoyment :)http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

SpaghettiJo likes this.
  4. SpaghettiJo

SpaghettiJo Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    Thank you so very much! I have her isolated currently so I can keep a closer eye on her and she has pooped and it is more normal.. I am providing food and water and she seems to be acting normal. Thank you so much for letting me know about the normality of her situation. I was pretty worried. :th

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I think you're o.k. if she is not lethargic or acting sick. If you are still worried, then offer her normal feed along with water and see what more poop looks like. In warm weather chickens drink a lot, so even a "normal poop" can be a bit loose.

"Perceived disturbances" by a flock can also affect egg laying - your being gone on vacation and them having a sitter may have upset them a little too. Chickens like routine so anything can set them off - they can be kinda weird at times:rolleyes:

SpaghettiJo likes this.
  6. BirdHead

BirdHead Songster

Nov 3, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah but if it stays runny a lot then it's mainly just her moisture level, but when colors change and things are coming out with the poo is when you should worry, like currently I'm dealing with radioactive colored runny feces from my rooster

SpaghettiJo likes this.
  7. SpaghettiJo

SpaghettiJo Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    Yikes! Hope you figure out whatever is going on with him!!

8. SpaghettiJo

SpaghettiJo Songster

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    Update: my Wilma has still not laid an egg since she stopped.. and its been about a month.. anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong with her?

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she eating/drinking o.k.?
    Do you free range at all - could she possibly have a nest somewhere in the grass, under a bush or building?

Check her over for any lice/mites, feel the abdomen for any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid, if you have a vet that can perform a fecal sample to test for worms, that would be a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: