Hen Stopped Laying eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KarinaB14, Oct 18, 2019.

1. KarinaB14

KarinaB14 Hatching

Oct 18, 2019
    Hi Everyone,

One of our Hens who is 5 months old was acting strange on Wednesday evening, she was stood still in a daze like stance for a while and not running to us when we called her name.

The next morning when we let the Hens out of their Coop, Dotty did not come straight down, and when she did she was very lethargic, not bothering with eating. We did notice a shell-less egg in their roosting area, so we are not sure if she laid that during the night. As she did not lay an egg that day.
    Around 9am I went to check on her she was in her nest with her head tucked down and eyes closed, she later came down around 11am but was still in a trance like state and keeping her head down.
    I whipped up some oatmeal with some cracked egg shells for them and she started to eat and it that seemed to perk her up.
    Later on she was back to her normal self, running around with her sister.
    So we thought she was back to normal and just needed a little calcium boost.
    However this morning she has still not laid an egg. But is still aching normal again.
    I have researched a lot and we have looked for mites/lice but can’t see any on her. Her beak is slightly a bit pale compared to her sister but not majorly.
    We just want to see if anyone has any answers or ideas as to what they think is wrong.
    We want to get ahead of the issue before it gets worse if something is wrong with her.

Thank You!

2. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    She may just still be recovering from whatever was wrong with her on Wednesday/Thursday. For example, if one of my hens is sick for a few days, even after she recovers she may not lay for several days. Hopefully she will continue to recover and resume laying!! :)

3. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Oh, and welcome to BYC!! :thumbsup:welcome:clap

4. KarinaB14

KarinaB14 Hatching

Oct 18, 2019
    Thank you! She laid this morning so hopefully she is all better now :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can act very strange when a softie is coming down the pike.
    They usually snap out of it once it gets out.
    Sounds like your girl has bounced back.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
    Are the other birds laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: