1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimmee12, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kimmee12

kimmee12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Texas
    I bought chicks in the fall from a feed store, only 2 made it through the winter. One hen and one rooster. The hen laid seven eggs, then stopped. She has not laid another egg in a week. I know she's young but it seems like if she could lay 7 she could lay more. I took those away from her, and my husband thinks she's not laying because I took her eggs. He went and bought her some ceramic eggs to make her feel better, lol. Any ideas as to why she would just stop laying eggs?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What breed? What are you feeding them? Is she possibly broody?

3. kimmee12

Mar 21, 2016
    Texas
    She's not sitting, she's up walking around. Feeding laying crumble.

4. kimmee12

Mar 21, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Not sure on breed?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is a buff Brahma, I can't tell if she's bantam or large breed. Both types are not great egg layers and will lay in clutches like you have seen, taking weeks off before starting up again if they don't go broody first. The large breed is mostly considered a meat breed, and bantam almost always lay in clutches.

6. kimmee12

Mar 21, 2016
    Texas
    Oh ok that explains it! Thank you for the information!

7. Chicky Woos123

Chicky Woos123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Hey everybody! My hens have been laying a soft egg every night, and I'm finding them in the morning. [​IMG] Any idea why this is happenening?? They are being fed layer feed and whole corn, with a few table scraps a few times a week. I just bought some grit to see if that will help. Any other suggestions? Thank you all in advance![​IMG]

8. kimmee12

Mar 21, 2016
    Texas

Is she old? Or overweight?

9. Chicky Woos123

Mar 10, 2016
    No, she is almost a year old. But she is a Cornish hen that I am keeping for eggs. She actually lays every other day. I guess you could say she's a bit on the heavy side. Lol. But I have 2 more hens who are crossed with the Cornish breed. They lay an egg everyday. Thanks. I'm not sure who the soft eggs are coming from exactly.

10. Chicky Woos123

Mar 10, 2016
    I hope the grit will help. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by