hen stopped laying

Noora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Few months back my hen became broody but abandoned the eggs after two weeks and never layed eggs again. I checked the space between the pelvic bones which surprisingly is only one finger. The age is two years and the breed is Araucana.
I don't know what is the problem although she looks healthy with no molting, fresh water and good food such as other laying hens. Can any body help please?

Your hen is probably either an Americana or an Easter egger. Your hen will quit laying to molt. Americana are not big egg producers and Easter eggers are hit and miss, so she has probably quit for the season already, and you should start to see her molt within the next month.

Thank you for your reply which seems convincing. I agree that there are lots of feather in the coop, but why the space between the pelvic bones became tight? Is that normal?

Yes, when they stop laying that distance decreases. @aart explains that part well in her many posts.

Don't know exactly why..... just the pelvic spacing gets smaller when bird is not in lay and opens back up when she is in lay......probably hormonal.

Back
Top Bottom