hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dottik, Jan 4, 2017.

1. dottik

dottik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2016
    pa
    I have 2 plym rocks ,2 rhode reds they are about 4 months old.Had gotten a white hen about month and a half ago.she laid 2 eggs and stopped this week.3 days have gone by and nothing.she has layer crumbles ,oyster shells.yogurt every few days.The pen is 8x15 with 4 hen houses.I live in florida so weather n sun are not a problem.thanks for any info

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    How old is the white hen? Do you know what breed she is? You've had her for a month and a half - what pattern have you noted prior to this in her laying?
    While lack of production can be a sign of something being amiss, going a few days without laying is not necessarily indicative of anything being wrong. Even in temperate areas such as your location, season does have an impact on production.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I know you mentioned they are penned - are they confined 24/7 in that area or are they out free ranging (or making unintended escapes) outside of the pen at all during the day?

4. dottik

Dec 9, 2016
    pa
    they are caged 24/7
    she is a white leghorn, patterns are the same,waking up ,walking around,eating .then starting to cluck so i knew she was gonna lay.her comb is red everything normal,but clucking and eggs just stopped.she is not bound up.just puzzling

5. dottik

Dec 9, 2016
    pa
    she has about 3/4 inch spur.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by