Hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaddidle, Sep 12, 2010.

1. kaddidle

kaddidle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    I have two hens in my little backyard coop. One seems to have stopped laying. I don't think she's moulting. Is there anything else that could cause this?

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

heat or other stress.you sure she is not molting?

3. kaddidle

Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    Not positive she isn't moulting, but her feathers look ok and she doesn't seem to be.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

are her feathers still shiny?if they are dull she is molting.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They can quit laying before they start losing feathers. Look around her face, that's where I usually see it first.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are many things that can cause hens to stop laying, moult being one of them. Here are some things; they need decent living space, overcrowding can cause stress and that will cause them to stop laying. If they have lice/mites, worms and other parasites/diseases can make them stop. The weather contributes...too hot or too cold. A change in living conditions from one coop to another. A change in feed or anything that can disrupt their normal routine. Improper feed can affect laying too. Predator attacks will cause them to stop laying. These are some of the most common reasons that might cause them to stop laying. Perhaps your hen might be eggbound, in which case I recommend you put her in some warm water and massage her belly for awhile. Then use a plastic glove and put olive oil or KY jelly on your finger and her vent, insert your finger in her vent and feel for any obstructions or broken egg shell. Another reason is that she might just need a break for a few days, that happens as well. My advice to you is to wait a few days...she'll probably start laying again on her own before you know it.

7. kaddidle

Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    It's been about a week since she's layed anything. Her feathers seem glossy, she eats well, and she doesn't seem bothered. Any ideas? She seems to have gotten more spunky lately. I wondered if she thinks she's a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by