1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GarthRyan, Oct 19, 2013.

1. GarthRyan

GarthRyan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Is it normal or okay for a hen to randomly stop laying?
    I have a silver lakenvelder and she just started laying a couple weeks ago and would lay about every other day and sometimes 2 days in a row the 2 days off, but she stopped laying and hasn't layed in over a week.
    Side note: she's the lowest of the pecking order and gets picked on sometimes.
    So is this normal or is something wrong? She acts perfectly normal.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sounds like she's moulting. It's the right time of year for it.

If you pick her up, is she covered with little hard pin feathers? Give her some extra protein and wait for her to regrow her feathers. When she's done, she'll start laying again.

3. GarthRyan

Apr 29, 2013
    She hasn't lost a single feather though? And idk she don't let me pick her up like some do, i have to corner her and when i grab her she loudly announces that she hates it.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You might not notice her losing feathers if it's a light moult. Sometimes picking them up and feeling for pin feathers is the only way to tell.

Also, if you don't have them under lights and your daylight hours have dropped below 14, she might just have stopped laying for the winter.

5. GarthRyan

Apr 29, 2013
    I have seven hens, three BR and three BA and her (SL) and the other hens are still laying. Their pin is beside a dusk to dawn light but they're pretty much in the dark when on roost under the shelter. I'm guessing she'll be fine, i was just looking for a cause. Thanks for your help, WOS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by