Hen Stopped Roosting before Dying

jasonmarshall

Hatching
Mar 4, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I have just found one of my hens dead in her coop at the end of the day. She had stopped roosting on her perch two nights ago and chose to sleep on the floor. This afternoon I found her dead in the coop. She always roosted on the perch and was one of the top in the pecking order. She was only around 7 months old and had been laying for about 2 months now. My birds all free range and the coop is large (8' x 18' with >40'of perch) with plenty of perch space for the birds. I have 12 chickens and the others seem healthy. Any ideas what might have happened?

Thank you

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I have just found one of my hens dead in her coop at the end of the day. She had stopped roosting on her perch two nights ago and chose to sleep on the floor. This afternoon I found her dead in the coop. She always roosted on the perch and was one of the top in the pecking order. She was only around 7 months old and had been laying for about 2 months now. My birds all free range and the coop is large (8' x 18' with >40'of perch) with plenty of perch space for the birds. I have 12 chickens and the others seem healthy. Any ideas what might have happened?

Thank you

Thank you
She could have been egg bound, been laying internally, had an egg break inside her or any of a number of other possibilities. I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom