Hen straining; blood coming out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chippysmom327, Nov 7, 2013.

1. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Okay, this is a super emergency. My hen layed me a shelless egg 3 days ago. Two days ago there was a membrane under the roost bar. Today this was on the coop:
    [​IMG]

Then she was standing in the nest box like this:
    [​IMG]

Then she jumped out and ran away. Now she's standing there like this:
    [​IMG]

And there is some kind of object and blood dripping from her vent! I tried to catch her to isolate her but she keeps running and I don't want her to run too much and hurt herself further.

What should I do?!?! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably has passed another shell -less egg or an egg cold have broken inside. I would coax her over when she calms down by offering her favorite treat, and trap her in the coop or run. If you can pull the object out (it is probably the membrane of the egg.) Then with a rubber glove feel inside the vent for anything remaining in case of shell,. Then take some white vinegar mixed with water-1 to 4 parts, and take a syringe and squirt the weak vinegar into the vent to cleanse it.

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Can you lure her closer with treats? You need to catch her and inspect her closely...

4. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Okay. She won't come for treats or anything. She's straying from the flock and she's free range so she's hiding under bushes and stuff.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well it will be getting dark soon, so you can treat her when she comes in to roost. Good luck.

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Thanks so much.

7. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Update: she passed whatever it was. After your posts I went out to look for her. She came out and looked/seemed to feel a lot better. I looked, there was no more bleeding/straining but she did have albumen/diahrrea stuck all over her bum. I'm going out now to bring her in and wash her bum off, and will feel around/flush.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by