Hen stretching her neck and opening her mouth

GoldieHen

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Hi Bayard Chicken folks.

I noticed today that my Buff Brahma pullet (not laying yet) kept making repeated, low, cooing sounds. that's the best way I can describe it anyway. She didn't seem to be sick and I figured she's just becoming a vocal hen. Later in the day, I also noticed she was repeatedly stretching her neck out and opening her mouth. Kind of like a yawn. But no sound or anything. Then I went and checked on them about an hour after they settled in for the night and I still hear her making that cooing noise over and over. Is she sick??? Please help, she's my favorite hen.

thank you.

She could have some irritation in her throat or have something stuck partway down. You could try a bit of olive oil and / or a bit of bread to help it pass, or time may solve the problem.

Occasionally, chickens do get gapeworms, but it is unusual. It's easy to tell if this is the problem. Swab carefully but deeply in the mouth with a Q tip. There will be a thin red worm about 1" long on the Qtip if that's what it is.

Thank you for the information. Her symptoms have continued to develop into more of a distinct wheezing sound like she's having trouble getting air and I was starting to think it's a cold but it's more consistent with gapworm. I haven't seen her eat in two days and I've been giving her water with a dropper to keep her hydrated I'm going to try the Qtip thing tomorrow morning. If she has gapeworm what do I do to treat it?

Thank you for the information. Her symptoms have continued to develop into more of a distinct wheezing sound like she's having trouble getting air and I was starting to think it's a cold but it's more consistent with gapworm. I haven't seen her eat in two days and I've been giving her water with a dropper to keep her hydrated I'm going to try the Qtip thing tomorrow morning. If she has gapeworm what do I do to treat it?

She could have a respiratory infection. You might want to consider antibiotics,not eating is dangerous.

Yes, I'm definitely going to consider antibiotics at this point as I concluded she does NOT have gapeworm. I tried the Q tip down the throat method this morning and came up with nothing. No worms. She's still fairly alert but continues to have to open her mouth to breathe in, and closes her mouth to exhale and you can hear the wheezing noise as the air is forced thru her nostrils. So I'm thinking it's more of a cold or bronchitis. I'm going to go to the feed store today to see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom