hen suddenly blind?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Keepin A Breast, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Keepin A Breast

Keepin A Breast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I have a little cochin hen that is fairly young. Maybe three-five years. She has not exhibited any signs of illness and doesn't have any signs of trauma. She was laying up til a few days ago.
    She is very obviously blind today. We are heartbroken as she is our "pet" hen. Could have happened to any one of the nameless, mean hens, but oh no, happens to our little Sipsy. Any ideas what could cause this? I can only guess that she has eaten a weed or some kind of mold? Any cure or medications?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Keepin A Breast

Mar 19, 2012
    Eggcessive...Her eyes look completely normal other than the pupils seem a little larger than normal. No sign of any illness!! VEERRRY STRANGE!!!

4. Keepin A Breast

Mar 19, 2012
    We feed a complete feed so she should not have any deficiencies unless there was a malfunction in the manufacture somewhere. None of our other hens show any signs.

5. Keepin A Breast

Mar 19, 2012
    My hen is still blind :(
    Her age is unknown, we took her from a lady that had her living in the house eating dog food, about two years ago, so she is maybe five? She is a bantam cochin.
    I don't know what to do. I feel so bad for her. She has absolutely no iris showing, but her pupils are clear. She is not sick, other than she has started to molt. No other chickens are sick.
    What do you do with a blind hen? We don't have extra time to devote to packing her around, we leave many days before they are up and get home after they are in bed. Should I cull her?:(((
    Will she learn to survive? The food and water are always in the same place.
    Any suggestions? Anyone?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you show a picture? I really don't think there is much you can do for her eyes, unless you would try antibiotics. But I doubt that will help. If I were you I would advertise locally for someone wanting a sweet blind hen for a pet. If possible, I would put her in your coop again, and place extra feeding stations, and spend some time seeing how she does. Many people have blind hens. I have one that only has one good eye, and she stays around the coop mostly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by