Hen suddenly died...butchered but scared to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featherfriender, Jan 16, 2013.

1. featherfriender

featherfriender Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Hammond,Louisiana
    I fed treats tonight. Five min later saw hen lay down,she turned blue shuddered & since there was nothing to dislodge or do I put her out of misery...cut jugular &bled her. I skinned/butchered her & saw nothing wrong....except for the obvious! Hate to waste her but worried she somehow ate poison or was sick? Most likely she choked on her treat but I even cut up the turnip greens....then mixed with blenderized peanut butter,oats TVP,almond milk & pulverized egg shells,probiotics,cinnamon...it wasn't very pasty&have given many blended treats before. I'm not 100% sure she even came for the treats. Since we saw her die,see no evidence of attack or illness & butchered her do you think it is likely safe or maybe just feed her to the fishes? Poor gal had a number of nice yolks inside,too...my first time butchering,too....our best layer):

2. featherfriender

featherfriender Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Hammond,Louisiana
    OMG...I just read where drakes may try to breed hens & that kills them. My drake did just start chasing one hen...we thought it was funny that he just didn't like her. He is just old enough to start breeding but have not seen any attempt yet with his new female duck friend. I know people keep all types poultry and never heard of ducks and chickens attempting to intermingle! I wonder if he killed her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by