Hen suddenly died- Could someone help me figure out what it possibly could have been from?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LizzyWhimsy, Nov 16, 2016.

1. LizzyWhimsy

LizzyWhimsy Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    I had this hen for 4 weeks. She was 3-4 years old when I got her. She had had some poop sticking to her butt and feathers here and there that I picked off from time to time but it looked like it cleared up about a week ago. She was nice and fluffy and walking around and enjoying the yard. Then, I didn't really see her yesterday or today before I left for school. Then, today in the afternoon, my mom found her in the coop in the egg box, where she had been for awhile. She was straining to lay an egg for awhile. My mom helped it come out, gave her a warm bath, but afterwards she was very lethargic and wasn't moving around so she put her in a box with a heating lamp and let her rest in the coop. My mom said her vent ripped a little bit when it came out. A few hours later, I found her dead. She looks like her bum is very wet and caked after what happened. I'm just wondering if she died from passing the egg or if there is any illness I should be aware of that would cause this.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Egg binding is the number 1 cause of death in laying hens. I can testify to those numbers. I'd say that her death wasn't sudden, just very, VERY drawn out. She probably damaged her oviduct when she passed the egg. There is a possibility that she was internal laying, but since she layed an egg, then it probably wasn't. Unless there is a bacterial infection involved (which there probably wasn't), egg binding isn't contagious, just very common.
    Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Well if you want to get a better idea of possibilities, you could use the Chicken Symptom Checker tool. Here is a link to the website - http://www.poultrydvm.com/

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am very sorry for your loss. It does sound like complications due to egg binding, as @PeepersMama mentioned.

If she was also internally laying, she could have come down with Egg Yolk Peritonitis, which is caused by e.Coli. EYP is contagious.

If you lose another one suddenly, I would consider a necropsy to diagnose what's going on and help determine the best course of action.

MrsB

5. PeepersMama

I'm not sure that EYP is contagious. E.Coli is everywhere around a chicken's habitat (i.e., poop). I had a necropsy done on a hen that died suddenly, and the vet said that she had EYP, but the next chicken to die was not only at least 3 months later, but from a completly different cause. Unless she somehow pooped a bunch of yolk, then I don't imagine that it would be contagious.
    You don't need to get to worried unless another chicken starts acting sick, especially if they have similar symptoms.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I've always heard that it's not necessarily EYP itself that is contagious, but the strain of e.Coli that results from it can spread as the underlying issues can be present in multiple hens... It's highly advisable to scour your waterers and feeders where that chicken may have had contact. Your mileage may vary. :)

MrsB

7. PeepersMama

Hm. Never heard that side of things before. Next time I have a girl with this I will clean the coop really well! Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by