Hen suddenly lethargic, pale comb, green diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaHenSD, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MamaHenSD

MamaHenSD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    She and the other girls were allowed out for a supervised free range around our backyard this AM. I'm not sure what she might have gotten into (we have a veggie garden she likes to dig in for worms), it consists of: asparagus, lettuce, 2 potato plants (which she ignores for the worms). There were aphids on a cauliflower plant I let them have. We don't use pesticides/herbicides although it's slightly possible she got some fertilizer, but I haven't fertilized anything in months.

She was completely fine... her normal obnoxious pacing self in the coop, begging to be let out. Then she was as described above. Lethargic, pale comb, green diarrhea. She won't touch her favorite BOSS. The other girls have rallied around her. I gave her some homemade electrolyte solution.

More in need of other care to offer at this point and not what made her sick (for now). Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She has many of the symptoms of coccidiosis. I would probably pick up some Corid (amprollium) at the feed store, and start it just in case (it won't hurt them.) Dosage is 2 tsp liquid Corid (or 1 1/2 tsp powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all birds at same time. Give vitamins and probiotics for a week after completion of Corid.Are they getting grit since they are out eating greens and bugs? Make sure she didn't get into any poison that neighbors may have put out.

3. MamaHenSD

Nov 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, I just gave them some corid and am hoping she's still with us in the AM.

4. MamaHenSD

Nov 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Eggcessive, thank you! I think your advice saved my girl. I'm aware of coccidiosis but it didn't come up when I googled her symptoms. Thank you so much!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Just found out that dosage for powdered Corid is WRONG. I have been using myself and lost 2 Silkie hens as a result! Correct dosage is 2full teaspoons/gallon of water for treatment, and 1 1/2 tsp for maintenance FYI

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The dosage for liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon, and powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon. This is for a severe outbreak. There are lesser dosages for prevention or treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by