Hen Suddenly Limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WinterChicks, Feb 8, 2015.

1. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    My Bramha hen lays well, eats/drinks well, ect.

Well today we noticed her limping. We noticed one leg looked swollen and a green hard knot/bump in between her toes. What could this be? Here is a video of her limping*

[​IMG]

*if it works

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, the video works. :)

Can you get a picture of this knot and leg you are talking about?

Have you looked at the bottom of the foot at the pad?

3. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    I'll get a picture soon... it's not huge but it's abnormal...it's not on the other foot.

I can't see the leg swelling very well..but my mom can lol.

I have looked at the bottom, looks normal. It's in between the toes....What causes bumble foot anyways?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bumblefoot mainly affects the pad of the foot and not the webbing or between the toes. So I am not thinking this is bumblefoot.

But a pic of this area will definitely help to diagnose. :)

5. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Yeah, I'll get a picture tonight or in the morning..already put my birds and rabbits up for the night-not sure If I'll be going back out.

6. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the bump right in between my fingers. If that's not good enough I'll try to get another later.

[​IMG]
    She looks healthy in all other aspects!
    [​IMG]
    I attemped to get a pic of her legs. It's her left leg in the picture that's hurt.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A swelling like this at the base of the foot joint and in the webbing, and on the left foot, this could be MS. A bacterial infection that causes the synovial fluid in the leg to drain into the foot joint and pad. It can cause great pain and eventually the bird may start to not walk at all or crawl on their hocks, leading to permanent lameness.

You might try some Denagard on her. This is an antibiotic that works well on MS and MG. You can get it here at this place on line...http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/...enagard-liquid-concentrate-12.5-32-ounce.html

It isn't cheap, but MS will not go away on it's own. It won't hurt if she doesn't have MS and you use this product. The bird will be a carrier for the rest of it's days. It is possible for other members of the flock to become immune however.

I would put this in the entire flocks water as MS is contagious.

I had MS in my flock and found I needed to drain the fluid at the pad after the infection within the flock got so bad before I had a diagnosis. Daily bumblefoot surgeries for quite some time on effected flock members.

If you have a vet that can test for MS, this is the best way to go about this.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    What IS MS/MG?

Should I cull her? Wha would happen if the rest of the flock got it?

9. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    How do birds get MS?

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Both MG and MS are bacterial infections. MG is usually brought in on new birds you integrate into your flock. MS came in my flock via wild birds. Not 100% sure, but I think wild birds carry MG as well. (when they drink out of your birds waterers or eat your birds feed)

You might have a vet test her for MS before you cull her. This could be something completely different. However that swelling is the exact swelling my birds had, along with the limping and leg swelling. I had a vet test for MS in my flock and sure enough. I didn't cull anybody. I used antibiotics on the flock and moved them to new grounds to get them away from the bacteria. You don't have to do this, but my birds appear to be clean as I have added new birds to my flock and no signs of MS have appeared since the original outbreak.

So I would call around and see if you can get her tested before you cull her. If she turns up MS free, maybe penicillin or baytril shots is all she needs for this infection.

Or you might try the Denagard and see if this doesn't heal the infection. Don't pop that what ever you do. That will cause more headaches than you need. Let it break on it's own if wants to break at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by