Hen Suddenly Limping

Both MG and MS are bacterial infections. MG is usually brought in on new birds you integrate into your flock. MS came in my flock via wild birds. Not 100% sure, but I think wild birds carry MG as well. (when they drink out of your birds waterers or eat your birds feed)

You might have a vet test her for MS before you cull her. This could be something completely different. However that swelling is the exact swelling my birds had, along with the limping and leg swelling. I had a vet test for MS in my flock and sure enough. I didn't cull anybody. I used antibiotics on the flock and moved them to new grounds to get them away from the bacteria. You don't have to do this, but my birds appear to be clean as I have added new birds to my flock and no signs of MS have appeared since the original outbreak.

So I would call around and see if you can get her tested before you cull her. If she turns up MS free, maybe penicillin or baytril shots is all she needs for this infection.

Or you might try the Denagard and see if this doesn't heal the infection. Don't pop that what ever you do. That will cause more headaches than you need. Let it break on it's own if wants to break at all.
Ahh... well I've had wild birds hanging out with my chickens (I don't like it because feed is bought for my birds not the wild ones)
he.gif

Anyways, how much would a test cost? We will use some natural stuff, ACV in water and possibly garlic. We'll try to treat it naturally agressivly at first. I won't cull her- I really love her. And I can make a new run out to get them away from the run if needed.

What about hatching their eggs?

You would have to ask your vet how much it costs. My vet didn't charge me a whole lot, but she is a country vet and doesn't charge much for blood work.

MS does pass through into eggs so I would do any hatching right yet until you know what this is.

For now, healthy up the entire flock so they can combat this infection. Probiotics in the feed, ACV in the water at 2 tablespoons per gallon. Make sure to change and make a new batch daily so it doesn't go bad. Maybe some vitamins in the water a couple times a week too. The healthier the immune systems are the better they can fight this thing.

But this is some sort of infection in her foot. So if nothing else, you might get her on some Baytril pills. (pills are better than injections for long term antibiotic use) I would give her a half tab in the morning and a half tab in the evening for a couple weeks. You can put these in raisins. But if she is limping badly, she is no doubt worse than you know. Infections can go systemic and kill the bird.

You would have to ask your vet how much it costs. My vet didn't charge me a whole lot, but she is a country vet and doesn't charge much for blood work.

MS does pass through into eggs so I would do any hatching right yet until you know what this is.

For now, healthy up the entire flock so they can combat this infection. Probiotics in the feed, ACV in the water at 2 tablespoons per gallon. Make sure to change and make a new batch daily so it doesn't go bad. Maybe some vitamins in the water a couple times a week too. The healthier the immune systems are the better they can fight this thing.

But this is some sort of infection in her foot. So if nothing else, you might get her on some Baytril pills. (pills are better than injections for long term antibiotic use) I would give her a half tab in the morning and a half tab in the evening for a couple weeks. You can put these in raisins. But if she is limping badly, she is no doubt worse than you know. Infections can go systemic and kill the bird.
Okay thanks.
I'll have to ask around. Okay.. no hatching. Man, I have been saving eggs lol.

Yup, we are gonna try the natural way first. We use Essential Oils and we are spraying one that is anti everything it seems lol on her foot often. Hope it works, it's free and natural. :)

Thanks for all your advice. Any other things about it? How can I deter wild birds without netting (big run).
My parents are getting chickens...should we sperate the two flocks until mine get beter???

I would keep your flock separate from any others until you know what this is.

I used netting over my garden areas and the spaces were big enough that wild birds were always getting in. So we build a sturdy run for the flock. Now I let them free range for an hour or so but I don't put out any food or water. Got to keep those little birds out of things. After an hour or so, the birds are ready to come inside for a drink, and they got their free range time.

Good luck with this! Keep them as healthy as possible and keep me posted! If you do get blood work done, let me know how it goes!! :)

I would keep your flock separate from any others until you know what this is.

I used netting over my garden areas and the spaces were big enough that wild birds were always getting in. So we build a sturdy run for the flock. Now I let them free range for an hour or so but I don't put out any food or water. Got to keep those little birds out of things. After an hour or so, the birds are ready to come inside for a drink, and they got their free range time.

Good luck with this! Keep them as healthy as possible and keep me posted! If you do get blood work done, let me know how it goes!! :)
Okay! So I'll separate them unless we find out before. They will have to roost together though..I have one coop. I can separate runs...not coops. :(

Much of this bacteria is passed from bird to bird through the feed, water and poop. Is she is not sneezing or anything, it isn't that likely that she will pass it to another bird.

If they are only roosting at night and nobody drinks or eat, the others are not as likely to catch it. I would remove all water and feed at night and first thing in the morning separate the flocks. If this is all you can do, than this will have to work. :)

If they are only roosting at night and nobody drinks or eat, the others are not as likely to catch it. I would remove all water and feed at night and first thing in the morning separate the flocks. If this is all you can do, than this will have to work. :)
Okay, We will try that. :)

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom