hen suddenly stopped laying but seems healthy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzyruss, Oct 24, 2009.

1. suzyruss

suzyruss New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    My 5.5 month old rhode Island Red hen started laying perfect eggs about a week ago. She faithfully laid an egg a day until 3 days ago. She has not laid one since as far as I've seen, but she's acting fine. I would think if she were egg-bound she'd be acting like she was in distress. Any suggestions?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Suzy and welcome to BYC!
    If you're worried about egg bound, you can check for this by holding the hen like a football, head tucked under your arm, and feel low across the abdomen, between the pelvic bones, for a mass.
    Chances are she's either still getting her egglaying down pat (newly laying pullets can be erratic) or she's being affected by the decrease in daylight that winter brings.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I bet she is just getting her laying gear in order. When they start laying it takes awhile for them to get it all running smoothly.

I never had a new layer lay every day for a week. Usually one egg, 3 days later 1 egg, ect. I bet she is just taking a break.

If she is acting fine I don't believe she is egg bound. When one of mine was egg bound she just stood still and swayed a little and kinda moaned.

I bet she is fine and you will get another egg soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by