Hen suddenly stopped?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ajosirois, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ajosirois

ajosirois New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    So I am a first-time chicken owner and I have a question. I have a hen that just started laying two days ago. I know the egg was hers because I only have one other hen and her egg was laid much earlier in the day, and I left it there for a bit so my second hen would know where to lay. I went back later that evening, I would say around 7PM, and there were two eggs! (Plus my second hen had been going in and out of the coop that evening) The last two nights, however, I have only collected one egg from my other hen that has been gracious enough to provide an egg each day! Is there a reason she would suddenly stop, or is it possible it is because she is just "coming of age" so to speak? Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She's a novice layer. She's working out the kinks in her system. Give her a month and she'll no doubt be laying like a pro.

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Even when she is a champion layer, she will not lay an egg every single day. Depending on the breed, and many other factors, she could lay as little as once a month, or as often as 5 times a week.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

Not all birds lay every day....and things can be sporadic at first.
    Time will tell.
    It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out and reach 'normal'...
    .....and even then 'normal' can be variable.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by