Hen survivor w/ Wry Neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrendaAnn, Oct 18, 2014.

1. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    My 3 year of pet hen was saved from being eaten alive from a coon/possum 3 nights ago. She has a strong sense of survival so I am trying to help her the best I can. I've treated her back wounds with what I have on hand...hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic cream. There is a scratch from her nostril to her eye and ear on one side. The eye is closed and has pus. Luckily, and embarrassingly, the local vet agreed to see Twister. Her eye has been punctured and permanently damaged. He gave eye drops for that and administered a shot of Baytril. She is now an expensive chicken. I am getting antibiotics from a feed store today. The nearest is an hour away which is why I had to wait.

New problem: The recurrence of a "chickhood" disease seams to be returning. Her name is Twister because of her neck twisting and holding underneath her body as she lost balance. I treated her for Wry Neck by giving her Vi-Ti-Sol and vitamin E as instructed by someone on here years ago. It took 3 weeks for her to come out but occasionally I've seen a small bit occur on occasion. But with this injury, I'm afraid it'll cause her more distress. I didn't tell the vet because he is actually a pet vet and not a livestock vet and because the 'wry neck' didn't show itself until last night and this morning. Any advice? Thanks.

2. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I'm really not sure how to treat your hen but I did want to mention to take caution with wound care. Raccoons can carry rabies without showing signs and if you have any open skin it can be transferred through the blood on the wounds. My husband had to get rabies injections for that reason. Our dog was attacked.

3. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    I didn't think about rabies with a chicken. Thank you...you are so right. Guess you and your husband learned the hard way.

4. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    We sure did. Him and our dog had to go through weeks of injections. The dog had her shots but still had to get 4 more, Over $2,000 and we had rubber gloves,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by