1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hen swallowed very small screw

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LisaChick1, Jan 10, 2015.

1. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chirping

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    I was sitting with my girls and saw my light brahma hen peck at something and noticed it was a tiny screw (like the size of a tack) before I could grab it she pecked it again and swallowed it.
    I'm so sad and frustrated. I woke up to a dead hen in the coup yesterday morning, such a sweet amazing buff orpington... I think she had a heart attack or was spooked and fell and broke her neck as there was no sign of disease, egg bound, good poisoning etc.... Now this with my light brahma. I had 4 hens now 3 and I'm sooooo worried I could lose her too. I know there's not much I can do.... But any words of experience with this type of thing would be helpful... Has this happened to anyone and their hens passed it or I read it can sometimes just sit in the crop... But over all my question is, is it most likely this will puncture her crop and she will die. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Orpington Crazy

Orpington Crazy In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Kelowna BC Canada
    I so sorry for your loss, hopefully the screw will pass through. I hope someone with more experience can help you.
    Alyssa

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    There's actually a condition for it known as hardware disease. It's where the chicken swallows something and that thing punctures the crop and gets infected. I guess it would be possible (but very difficult to this) but you can do surgery or just wait it out and see what happens. You can also go get a magnet and scan the area your chicken was in so it won't happen again.

4. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chirping

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    Thank you for your responses.
    It's only been 1 day I know, but she's ok for now. I would do the magnet thing, but we are on 46 acres and they roam through about 3+ of them so there is a lot to comb through [​IMG]
    I am wondering if this has ever happened to anyone and their chicken lived and was fine....? Or is it rare for them to make it through this?

5. hennible

hennible Crowing

I think she'll be able to pass it... You could give olive oil to lube things up...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chirping

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    Thank you!!!

[​IMG]

7. hennible

hennible Crowing

:fl

8. hennible