Hen - swollen bottom, runny poop, lethargic, drinking alot.

Esjay600

Chirping
Dec 3, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone

First time chicken owner here. I've had my girls for about 9 months now (bought as pullets), but I haven't run into this problem before!

My sweet girl Penny is having issues and I just need to check with you about what it could be. I have been reading other forum posts and articles, and my best guess is a yeast infection, but I would really love to run it by you guys.

Penny has a very swollen bottom, with feathers missing. There was also poop running down her backside. Her "tail" feathers were not up, but pointed downward. She is lethargic, and drinking a lot. There's clearly some diarrhea involved. (Hubby says her comb is a bit floppy, but it looks ok to me.)

Does this sound like a yeast infection? I have read to give her an epsom salt bath, however I don't have any at the moment (and it's night here), so I will have to get them tomorrow morning.

Could it be another illness? Are there other remedies I should try?

Thank you for your help.

red99

Hatching
Oct 18, 2016
Sound like egg yolk perientiice.... yolk missed shell when ovulating. Very serious, turns into E. coli . Needs meds. Lost my favorite girl to this . Get her to vet!!

red99

Hatching
Oct 18, 2016
can you post a photo of it? that would help diagnosis hugely.
The picture would not help with a diagnosis, hercousin was pale and flopped over to one side, her belly was swollen and she was very warm due to a high fever, and extremely lethargic. The longer you wait to get her on anabiotic‘s the less chance she will have at surviving. My vet told me that it’s very hard to cure. I hope your chicken doesn’t have this but it sounds exactly what Barbie had.

Top Bottom