Hen swollen like a ball barely eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sharon2012, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Sharon2012

Sharon2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Southeast Tennessee
    My black australorp hen was fine until day before yesterday. Then suddenly she swells up like a ball with a tiny head glued on top. She moves slowly, is drinking and barely eating. When one of the others brush against her she acts like it hurts badly. What's wrong with her. Am I going to have to send her to hen heaven? And why does it seem my austrolorps are the ones always having the problems? All my chickens were born in June so they're not old.

2. Sharon2012

Sharon2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Southeast Tennessee
    She died a few minutes ago. I don't have the money for a vet to look at her . I examined her before taking care of disposal. No worms. No mushy crop. No odd smells. Do you think she could have infected my other five with something?

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    My heart goes out to you... I am in tears at your description and loss....I have no idea of what happened to your chicken.. maybe she had an allergic reaction to something to cause such a reaction to whatever was so very wrong with her.

She is at peace now..

Bless you

Suzie

4. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    One of my chicks (well, not a baby but probably 10-ish weeks old) had coccidiosis and she puffed out all of her feathers and looked really sad. I treated her with corid. None of the other chicks got sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by