Hen-swollen warm abdomen, hunched wings, wide stance, normal vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyerThanAverage, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CrazyerThanAverage

CrazyerThanAverage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    I would appreciate any thought on what might be going on with one of my hens, Goldie. I have done some research on egg bound & internal laying, but they don't seem to fit what I am seeing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will have some insight!

Goldie is a 1 1/2 year old Easter Egger I got last December after she survived a bobcat attack and her owner didn't want any more chickens. She ended up at the bottom of a 30 bird pecking order and, over the next few months, got rather thoroughly "plucked." I isolated her and #29, Muffs- another bobcat survivor, for several months to give them time to grow back some feathers. They didn't lay any eggs while in isolation or grow back very many feathers. They did start sitting in nests like they were laying, but no eggs. They wanted out with the other free ranging chickens, so I finally relented and let them out. In the last 2 months, I have seen Goldie in a nesting box a few times, but I don't think she has laid any eggs. She as grown back a few feathers, but not many. This morning I noticed Goldie was standing funny. When I picked her up, without much resistance, I noticed her abdomen was swollen and warm. Her vent area appears normal, not distended, red, or misshapen in any way. Her abdomen is soft with no lumps inside. It almost feels like it is full of fluid. She is standing with a wide gait, like she is about to poop. Her wings are all hunched up around her neck. It almost looks like she is in an "egg laying" position. She squawked like it hurt her when I tried to extend one of her wings. It appears she can only reach the ground with her beak if she is squatting/laying down. Her crop is empty and her chest is very bony. I put her in an isolation kennel in the coop with food and water, neither of which seems to interest her.

I'll try and take pictures when I go out to the coop again shortly.

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Aww, the poor dear. It sounds like internal laying, when there's a leak in their laying apparatus and everything goes down into their abdominal cavity, but don't take my word for it. I haven't had any success in trying to remedy this in my birds, some others have. Maybe she never fully recovered from the bobcat attack, then the trouble with the other hens added to her woes.

But maybe some others have a better diagnosis & remedy to recommend, let's hope for the best!

3. CrazyerThanAverage

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Went out and checked on Goldie and took some pictures. Abdomen is still warm, swollen, and feels full of fluid. No interest in food. Her wings are not a "hunched" as earlier. Also noticed that her face seems to be red.

Here is Goldie in all of her "plucked" swollen abdomen sorryness. Poor girl!
    [​IMG]

Here are some shots of the "bussiness end."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CrazyerThanAverage

Oct 11, 2010
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Wow. Great links Speckledhen, to really good information. Thanks! I'm truely sorry about all the birds you had lost to get that knowledge. Looks like you and Sunny Side Up probably nailed it. Wish that wasn't the case...for Goldies sake. Might try draining her abdomen to make her more comfortable. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by