1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen tering up bandages

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    i am at my wits end hen has hole in back about the size of quarter about quarter of inch deep she is in a pen by her self she is now tearing up bandages the vet put these on her . thanks every body for help

2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Are you saying she has a hole in the skin on her back? How did it happen?
    I would just slather it with antibiotic ointment and leave it at that. Are you in a real warm climate? The big concern with open wounds in warmer weather is maggots. If that's not a concern right now, leave her in her own crate and treat her wound and leave it open. Good luck.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, leave it open.........Pop

4. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    she picked feathers out then the other ones kept picking her , vet said no bugs she is in good cond, but she will not stop picking at it she is on antibotics, do they pick at it cause it hurts i am in a colder climate thank you again

5. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Is she picking at the wound, or the bandage? Chickens pick at almost anything. She sees it as something weird and pecks at it. They really take the world in through their beaks! Just leave it off.

6. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    P.S. You'll have to keep her separated from the others until her wound completely heals, or they'll just peck it open again.

7. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    she is picking the wound

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Can you get or make a saddle for her?

Yesterday I read here that someone suggested using a small tee shirt. head through neck, feet through armholes, and cut holes for wings. Then used duct tape to tighten the bottom edge. (Not on the chicken) I can't find the link. Good luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by