Hen that acts like a Rooster?

glitch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
OK, the smallest of my three hens got attacked by something the other day.... my best guess is that it was a cat or a hawk. It was a day time attack in my wide open front yard. The hen is fine.......just lost a few feathers but it got me thinking that I might need a rooster. After a bit of research I understand that a rooster would be too much on just 3 hens.

So my question is........does anyone know if there is a breed of hen that acts protective toward the flock like a rooster does?

Unless it was the agressive type, I don't think a rooster would be too much for three hens. Lots of people have 2 hens, 1 rooster trios, or 3 hens and 1 rooster.
As for protective hens... I think it really depends on the hen, but I've heard of hens acting rooster-like and crowing, maybe there is a certain breed that is more prone to do that, but I don't know of it, sorry!
Hope this helps, and good luck!

You know, lots of folks look for good homes for their pet roosters, who don't want them to be eaten; usually they are either free or quite inexpensive, and often they are gentle and friendly birds. Bet you could find one without too much trouble. Check the buy sell trade section here for someone near you.

Back
Top Bottom