hen that cant walk AND her head is moving rhythmically !!! HELP !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renewistrombaker, Dec 27, 2011.

1. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    My hen who is 2 hasnt been able to walk, like shes drunk but she can stand. Started her on tetracyclin last night. No parasites since on DE all the time
    TOday the legs seem totally paralyzed. Her legs are every which way, like they are useless.
    Shes doing this thing with her head, a rhythmic moving like she cant keep it still, looking around sort of but never staying still... and blinking rhythmically too

I think this is something Neuro. It has to be with this new head symptom.
    Here is my original post : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=612972

Shes
    not eating any treats offered nor have I seen her drink. I put a couple dropper full of water down her gullet this morning,, that was fun doing that tast alone..

Im not very hopeful at this point [​IMG] She is more like a pet since Ive raised them from babies.

Very sad

ANybody seen this? The head thing? Along with the paralysis of the legs?

Thank you in advance
    Rene

2. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    The link below has some good descriptions of various poultry illnesses. Could be as simple as an ear infection, which would cause vertigo-types of symptoms. Or it could be something more serious. If you can help her to eat and drink (hold the feed and water to her, or hold her in a position she can eat and drink from) and keep up with the antibiotics she might pull through. Good luck.

3. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Oh, I forgot to mention: be very careful not to force water down her throat, as she might aspirate and die.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    sometimes when they cant walk and stumble or act drunk it lack of vitiman E.
    Quote:

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It can be something as simple as vitamin deficiency. Give her water with liquid vitamins (poly-vi-sol no iron). If she can't drink it, wrap her in a towel and offer it to her by dropper. Let a drop of vitamin water touch the tip of her beak and it will run down her beak and she will take it. I would stop the antibiotics as they are most likely doing more harm than good. If her system or metabolism is already compromised, it could do more damage or expedite organ failure.

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    You might have to give the vitamins a few days before you notice a change(if thats the issue?) Good luck!

7. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    thank you all for your info !

She now is opening and closing her beak every so slightly rhythmically. No wheezing or discharge.
    Im so stumped and sad. [​IMG]

I did squirt 2 droppers of tetracylcin water into her beak this morning. Is it possible I caused her to aspirate and now she has some breathing issue !! Oh man I will feel like such a turd if I did [​IMG]

Ren'e

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I just wanted to mention to you that DE regularly isn't a guarantee against parasites. It may be helpful in prevention, but my buff orp still got round worms on DE.

Hold her up to your ear. Does her breathing sound rhaspy? Usually, you can use a dropper and let her drink it on her own...also, that kindof sounds like mareks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...I have also heard that botulism can cause paralysis [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by