Hen that continues to lay soft eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenThymes, May 5, 2011.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    One of my split black/lav orpington hens has become a continual soft egg layer. It started here and there last fall and so far this year is seems to be every egg she lays. She is not old, she is a summer/fall of 09 hen. She has full access to oyster shell and grit, is fed purina layena along with the occasional goodie from the the garden or house, she has never been broody either. The group is wormed regularly twice a year and no one has any sicknesses and she does not have lice/mites (I already checked). Her comb and wattles are still normal red as well. The other hens are fine and lay regular and normal eggs. I am totally stumped. [​IMG]

The past couple of days I have noticed that she is looking thinner like she is not eating well, she is also acting a bit lethargic but does drink good. This morning DH went out to do chores and found a soft shell egg that had been mauled (have a BCM hen in the pen that will tear them apart) so I am assuming she layed an egg some time in the night/early morning yet again, soft.

Any advise would be great. [​IMG]

2. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Was getting ready to post almost the exact same thing! Mine is continually laying VERY soft eggs and she always breaks it open and eats the yolk, but then she'll sit on it and growl at me if I try to clean out the nesting box. She seems perfectly healthy and she, too, has good feed, grit and plenty of crushed egg shells and/or oyster shell available. I just don't get it, either! I hope someone has some advice!

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I had the same problem with one of mine,she laid soft shelled eggs,i gave yougart ,the oyster shell,and liguid cal in the water.Easter day the egg came out but the soft shell was in her,i got it to pass,then a week later same deal,she has gone down the long road to the sale for culling.I felt bad but i gave up.Good luck to u two.

4. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I hate to say that we had one who was doing that a couple of weeks ago and she kept eating hers and then got sour crop and died. I don't think this story every ends up in good way.

5. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    My hen doesn't eat hers, she just continues to lay them and has for quit a while now?? [​IMG] I have a different hen who picks at them.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Some hens just get messed up internally and there is nothing you can do. If you providing oyster shell and a layer feed, then I'm not sure what else you could do, other than give her liquid calcium. I had a hen that got egg bound 3 times and then laid soft shelled eggs for a few months, she gobbled them all up. She seems fine now. I haven't seen anymore signs of soft shells and she has gone broody again. So, I think it finally just worked itself out.

7. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    So what other forms of calcium are available that they would eat? Where would I buy them? I am up to try anything at this point.. [​IMG]

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I can't remember who carries the liquid calcium but if you will search liquid calcium it should pull up. I would try that. Or you can crush some tums and give them to her, but I would think the liquid calcium would be better since it will tell you the recommended dose.

9. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Atlanta burbs
    Quote:I read to give them a bowl of milk every day for several days. I gave my four a bowl this morning and they LOVED it.

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Liquid is in the goat section- one capful per gallon.

Also, crushed Tums in their water or, last ditch, Calcium Citrate (Caltrate) is best for malabsorption issues, but it's pricey.

If she's swollen, you might try penicillin injections for possible peritonitis.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by