hen that has poop on her tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by butterfly lady, Sep 4, 2014.

1. butterfly lady

butterfly lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Im new to this chicken thing and TOTALLY loving it!! I have 4 mixed breed hens that were bought at the same time from the same place. Two of my gals are "older" and only one is laying. The other one, who happens to be the boss hen, has had poop on her tail feathers lately, the last week. All normal looking poop, nothing icky as far as i can tell.....I've read about all the stuff they can have, her behavior is normal. She eats, drinks, scratches the ground for bugs and loves attention....doesn't act sick at all....is she just messy? none of the others seem to be having an issue keeping clean. i scoop their coop at least 2 times a day.....and they free range all morning. another quick question....if 2 hens are aprox the same age, why is only one laying? Thanks for listening!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would de-worm her and the others of your flock...messy backsides can be as a result of a worm infestation...

3. butterfly lady

Jul 21, 2014
    I've been doing that once a month with a wormer in their water, is there another you would recc? Thanks for the input. I did go right to worms but sort of dismissed it since i had them on some, maybe i need to try something different.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens don't really need to be wormed that often. What did you use to deworm them with? Wazine? If so, it only treats roundworms, there are many other worms chickens can get so I would switch to Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats and deworm on a schedule appropriate for your location/climate. Hot/dry = less parasites, a warm wet climate = more. Where I live it's hot and dry but winters are mild. I deworm 2 or 3 times a year.

Other then that, yes, some chickens just do have messy backsides. I have a couple that are extra fluffy back there and need an occasional trim of all that extra pouf to keep things tidy.

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hi,

I have no idea, but did wonder if maybe she could be doing a pre-egg laying 'squat' and with that has been getting poop on her feathers...?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  6. butterfly lady

Jul 21, 2014
    thank you so much for the info! ill go and look for the other wormers, and Wazine is what i had been using.....And now that you mention it, this hen is a little feathery....maybe she needs a trim! ive read that some cider vinegar mixed with water is ok to use to clean the area?

7. butterfly lady

Jul 21, 2014
    Really?? that would also explain things.....i didnt know they did a pre-laying thing...It would also be great if she started laying!! I appreciate all the info!! you read and read and still dont know enough!

8. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    The more I learn (the more I forget) the more I have to learn and then remember to retain...
    I think I remember reading that 'fact' somewhere...now if I could just recall where and what thread or post...I do remember someone saying that their chicken was doing some pre-egg 'squats' but I can't be certain if they mentioned the lapse between first sighting and actual egg?
    Hope we find out together (and then when I forget I will come and bug you to remind me!).
    Then you add in any other possibilities and you can end up 'bonkers' like me...[​IMG]

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm no expert but I understand that with most de-wormers the eggs shouldn't be eaten for a while after they're off it....like HugHess, I think I read it somewhere on here but for the life of me can't remember where. Try putting it in the search box and see if something comes up. Would hate for someone to get sick eating eggs with some kind of de-worming agent in them. Maybe I'll do a search myself too, now that I'm curious about my memory skill.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by