Hen that lays twice a day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodered10, Aug 15, 2010.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    I have a nice new hen that just started laying a couple of weeks ago she is really nice but some days I will get an egg from her in the morning and ill go out there at about 6 and she will lay another egg. the first egg is always nice with a good shell and she lays it in the nesting box but her second egg is always a large egg with no shell at all and she only lays it out in the runalso after she lays it she gets this really blank stare and wont move untill about an hour or so and then she will go right back to normal but wont lay an egg the following morning. this has happened at least twice now since she started laying and i am wondering if it could mean something because all the eggs i have been getting from her have been small but still good. so please if you know anything about this kind of behavior please help!!!!!

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    As long as you have oyster shell out she should quit...they just don't have it all together at first when one of mine skips a day the next one is a double or triple yolker and after 3 weeks with shell out I still get a few eggs with thin shells and wrinkled just normal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by