hen that looks a lot like rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sniffymonkey507, Aug 31, 2014.

1. sniffymonkey507

sniffymonkey507 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    ive got a hen that looks ALOT like a rooster any ideas? i dont have any pictures but i can tell you all about her

1 person likes this.
  2. Wood5400

Wood5400 New Egg

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    If a hen looks a lot like a rooster it's probably a rooster.

3. sniffymonkey507

sniffymonkey507 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    but she lays eggs and none of our other eggs are fertile

4. sniffylemur507

sniffylemur507 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    yes but shes stopped laying and her tail is fanning and her saddle feathers look a roosters!

5. nucksnest

nucksnest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    [​IMG]

I was told she is a hen and she acts like one but she looks like a rooster

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    This whole thread is confusing I'm afraid. Is the picture shown of the hen in question?

Is snifymonkey507 and sniffylemur507 the same person or a related person adding to the conversation who knows the animal in question?

If you are 100% positive that it and not another hen has laid an egg then it has to be a hen because roosters can't lay eggs. Perhaps it was someone else who laid it?

Without a photo it's pretty much impossible to tell what breed it is. You can upload photos from iPods and iPhones to the site so if you don't have a camera that's another option if you have one.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. nucksnest

Sep 22, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    No this is my example of a supposed hen that looks like a rooster. She is mine. She does not crow or act aggressive too young for eggs still wain and see deal

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

This chicken looks like a rooster because it is a rooster.

9. nucksnest

Sep 22, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    I heard crowing and went out to see who was doing it and it was this guy ! They swore it was a hen!!! I had heard crowing before but thought it was not obnoxious so it might not be a rooster! And I only hear it in the morning! Not all day! And he is not running at me! But he does keep the new ones together maybe this is why they are not mixing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by