Hen that moves her nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fraoch21, May 18, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I have 2 broody which i set with 6 call duck eggs each in a shed. They had both been sitting for a week with no problems, in a hen box each. just today i went out to check on them and one of them had moved her nest?? she had managed to get all the eggs out of the hen box even though its made from 4 planks about 3 inches tall. she crushed one of the eggs in the process which made me pretty annoyed since they cost alot!! but how could she get the eggs over the planks?? and why would she move them?
    thanks

2. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Im a newbie but thats prety amazing! Was there a draft or anything that could hav ebeen bothering her? was it to close to the other hens area?

3. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    there was a bit of a draft sice she was beside the door i opened to check on her, but she moved closer to the other hen so they are now almost touching if it wasnt for the wood!!
    the only way i can think of for her to move the eggs, would be for her to puch each egg up the side of the wood on some straw and tip them over the edge so they landed on the other side, individually? its so weird [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by