Hen that no one likes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerwanabe, Oct 19, 2009.

1. farmerwanabe

farmerwanabe New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    I am kinda new at this and have had my 16 red star's for about a year and a half. I had a hen go broody about 6 months ago and I noticed no one liked her anymore. When she came out of the nest everyone attacked her (hen #1). So I let her set. In the mean time another hen went broody so I let her set ( Hen #2). Hen #1 had 1 baby. and a few weeks later hen #2 had 3 babies. I seperated hen #1 because everbody attacked her and her baby. No one messed with Hen #2 or her babies. Finally I decided just to try and intergrate #1 and her baby with the rest of the flock. I found the baby almost dead and she did die a day later. They still attack hen #1 and it seems everyone just hates her. She gets attacked by everyone costantly.
    I am not sure if this has anything to do with the dislike however, I have noticed she is the only hen that appears not to have a spot on the back of her head where the rooster grabs them when mateing. I am not sure they were her eggs anyway. I only have 1 rooster someone gave me that has been with the rest since they were a few months old. He is a black silky.
    I joined the forum in hopes someone can help me solve the mystery why no one likes this hen. Thanks for any suggestions or advise.
    Farmerwanabe

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    First of all, [​IMG] this is a great site and a bit addicting. However I can not answer your question. Hopefully someone else will be able to help. Sorry.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    [​IMG]

i am new at this too, but i was wondering, what breed is the hen that is picked on? its possible she is a more passive breed- if it were me, i would separate her, possibly with another hen that is in the lower end of the pecking order- kind of so she has a buddy- and watch and see what they do- the other thought would be to keep her separate as a special pet, give her protection and become her roo as it were, since its possible they aren't letting her eat or drink much either....

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Quote:Thanks so much for the information. I just ran through the article and it is good. gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by