Hen that stays on the nest.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bledsoe95, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    One of my buff orps stays on the nest all day & comes off @ night and doesnt lay a egg,any1 know what shes doing.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She may be attempting (poorly) at hatching some eggs. Hens can go "broody" and try and hatch some eggs by sitting on them, however since your girl isn't continuing to lay on them at night, she's not fully broody, but either trying it out or just being lazy.

3. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    She fluffs up and pecks @ me like a broody hen does but sometimes they are no eggs under her.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    she is broody just hasn't got a nest of eggs, has she laid and stopped laying?

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. bledsoe95

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    Yeah shes laid before but not anymore.

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Yea she's broody you didn't say if she went to roost at night or just got up for dinner then went back on chances are she laid about a dozen eggs straight in a row before she stopped layingyou can break her of the broody lots of threads on here how to do it

8. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    We just had a buff orp do the broody thing a coupla weeks ago. When she laid I'd pull the egg, and at night I'd go out and put her on the perch. Days I'd put her out with the rest of them. She broke in about 3 days. It's cold here now in Vt, and we don't want a bunch of chicks this time of year.
    1 roo 7 hens and 4-6 eggs a day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by