hen that wants to be a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Help_battery_hens, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    Can anyone help me. I rescued a battery hen in June this year and she is blooming etc very friendly but she doesn't behave like the other girls. She will find bugs etc and not eat them she holds them in her beak and calls over the other girls (and me too!) to see what she's got. then she will put it on the ground for them to eat. None of my other hens do this. Sometimes they make cute noises when i give them worms and flapjacks and sunflower seeds etc but none deliberately place things down in front of another hen so she can eat it. does she think she's a rooster? [​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think she has no clue what to do with what she's caught. She might not even realize it's food, and might be calling over the other hens to see the weird thing she has. Probably her natural behavior is all screwed up due to the environment she was in. I doubt she thinks she's a rooster.

Although, does she boss the other hens around, too? Sometimes in a flock without a rooster a hen will become dominant and take over the rooster's role.

3. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    no she stays out of trouble I've never seen any of the girls peck her or chase her for food. she is always very calm and cool never pecks anyone in the flock. i think you're right i think she prob doesn't know what it is, it is only her first summer after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by