Hen that wheezes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SamG347, May 18, 2010.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I have a hen that has been wheezing when she breaths..especially noticeable when she sleeps. The bird has become rather sluggish. The same hen earlier on had like a sneezing kind of BAWK...and now it is just this wheezing. Anyone have any ideas...anything is better than what I have got..which is nothing.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hi Sam,
    Definitely separate her... sounds like a respiratory problem of some sort. Do you have any broad spectrum antibiotics on hand at all?

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sam, I would also separate your hen, give her some duramayacin and some vitamins/electrolites in her water, and just make sure she's comphy and can rest without infecting your flock or getting picked on if she's weaker.

Sounds nutty but I also ran a vaporizer with vicks on a sick hen I had (she was a favorite of mine), and she pulled through just fine! (She was really sneezing and coughing too--I thought she would die.)

Good luck to you!
    Sharon

5. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    I too have had this problem. Because it is so contagious, it was explained to me that more than likely they all have it and are not showing symptoms yet. I waited when I first got them to treat and, sure enough, one led to 2 led to 8. So, I too did the duramycin 10 in the water. Fresh each day the amount that they will drink in a day for 7-10 days. Do an egg hold for two weeks after last dose. Does the trick! I have had to do that twice. Saved the roosters life. Good luck to you

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:VetRx on the nose will help, too... similar to Vicks. [​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:VetRx on the nose will help, too... similar to Vicks. [​IMG]

Oh, I had never heard of that! Thanks, Mrs. AK!​

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    The hen died but I hear two more hens who are acting way healthier than that hen kind of sniffling/gurgling when they breath....should I treat the water for the whole flock with duramycin 10? Does it matter what age the birds are drinking this...I have young chicks but I don't think they can reach the water...should I also treat my quail which are in the same area but in a coop up off the ground...how does this sickness spread?
    Thanks all!

9. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Sorry about your hen [​IMG]
    Have you checked out the link i posted? There is an article posted in the link titled "treating respiratory illness in chickens". It was very, very helpful for me when i was having the same problem! Boosting the immune system for respiratory issues, and there are several great suggestions there, including ways to use the vetRX, cod liver oil, probiotics, vitamins and OACV. Which, if you are going to be treating with an antibiotic would be very helpful. There is also a duramycin dosge calculation. Read it over.
    I personally would plan on giving everyone the duramycin since these things tend to be contageous and you've aalready had one hen die. I'm not sure about the quail though....perhaps someone else will know?
    Good luck!

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by