Hen that's been raising chicks laid odd egg....also odd noise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Apr 19, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    So, my Jap/D'uccle hen laid an open, dried and dirty egg on top of a box randomly the other day. I believe the chicks are about 4wks now. She's been calling them up to roost and this week she stopped and also stopped protecting them as viciously as she used to.
    She has also been calling or something. "kaa ah ah ah ah ah" or similar, for no real reason. It wasn't a calling for her chicks, to tell them to run and hide or even to object to me being too close or the dog coming in. I don't think she has been making the noise as often today, but she did call several times the last few days.

I'll try to get a picture of the egg tomorrow if I can find it. They are in the garage and she was on a xmas tree box, there's some real runny poo and then the egg a few inches away. I didn't see/feel any whites or yolk in or around the egg area.

This was asked before, but I lost the thread. If a momma hen lays eggs again, is she done raising the chicks?
    I think my answer was yes, and seeing what my hen has taught them and is now backing away from them, was I right? I had another momma in the fall and the babies all followed her until they were maybe 10wks+.

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    As for the noise I cant really say. However the egg is normal as she is working on getting the kinks out. Once she lays the chicks are pretty much on their own.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've finished the metal top of the run in the new coop. Will be moving all the birds[chickens, not ducks] this weekend!!
    Hopefully with this new room and all, they will all be good. She can become a normal chicken and they will also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by