Hen that's wheezing breathing through mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jelena newell, Feb 26, 2017.

1. jelena newell

jelena newell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    I have a hen that is wheezing and breathing through her mouth. She has been picked on and her tail feathers have been pulled out. She has been pretty healthy but I pulled her out of the flock and put her in a crate outside the coop. I gave her olive oil and water but no changes. She does not leave the coop nor do any other chickens. She has clear eyes and clear nose no swelling of face. She coughed a few times that I know of. I have never had a sick chicken before.. she is still fysty.

2. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm sorry about your hen! You could give her some acv, probiotic and electrolytes, but I'm not sure about the breathing, does she have any gunk in her throat? Or smell like infection?sorry I couldn't be more help!

3. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    She seems fine outside being picked on and the breathing no drainage no swelling

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It could be that the stress of being feather-pecked has lowered the ability of her immune system to keep any chronic condition in check. In such cases, the symptoms of a respiratory illness can exhibit themselves (i.e. she was already a carrier of the illness).

I will defer to the ER experts when it comes to her treatment (but without a vet's diagnosis, you will be in the dark, somewhat), but I'd advise that you try and address the causes of the feather-pecking also. This link should give you some ideas about what you can do to try and prevent feather-pecking - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1148824/topic-of-the-week-feather-pecking-eating

Here's a link that includes respiratory illnesses and their symptoms -
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    Thank you she is fine today, acting normally, eating and drinking. I will research the pecking further. I am keeping (Goldie) isolated for two more days. I gave her some bread soaked in olive oil and a few drops of vet Rx. Her eyes and nose are still clear, she is breathing through her nose normally. No wheezing, coughing, or snoring noises today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by