1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen thinks golf balls are eggs!! what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eventmerlin, Sep 16, 2010.

1. eventmerlin

eventmerlin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have a english bantum that thinks golf balls are her eggs. I put them in a nest to try to get my free rangers to lay inside instead of outside. Eloise, the bantie, now has been sitting on the golf balls for over a month. If i take them away she chases me, all upset and i feel horrible and give her them back. She is no longer laying her own eggs now and is clucking all the other girls out of the coop, away from her" eggs". Is this healthy for her? She will be sitting forever!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, since it's been a month already I would just leave her. She should just give it up on her own soon. When it first starts, you can "break" a broody hen by putting her in an isolation cage with no bedding for about 3 days.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Do you happen to have any chicks hatching? Sneak them under her at night and take those golf balls away. She'll be so happy they finally hatched! lol

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Really, you should do this. It's not good for a hen to stay in protracted broodiness. They don't eat well, they lose weight... If you can't find chicks for her, try to find some fertilized eggs .... although that will extend her broody period another 3 weeks. Poor little thing.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    or go to the feed store and get some day-olds (not too old).

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    At least you still have your golf balls. Mine think it's fun to roll it out of the nest box (not easy to do) and hide it under 10" of bedding.

7. j egger

j egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Georgetown, TX
    I didn't use golf balls, I used plastic easter eggs but they got smart knowing they were fake.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by