Hen thinks she's a rooster?

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
I got rid of my rooster last summer because he had become really mean, towards the hens and my family. He would pull the feathers from the tops of their heads and their poor little backs were bald.

I have noticed in the last few weeks that the girls are again losing feathers on heads and backs. Looking out the window one day, I saw a hen on top of another hen, as if mating. I know for sure there aren't any roosters in there. Problem is, I only saw it once and can't decipher which of the red hens it was. I look and look all day and still miss it. I stood in the barn one night for over an hour and thought I had narrowed it down to 2 possible hens. When I went to pick each one up, they both squatted for me.

Any suggestions on how to figure out which hen it is? The girls are not happy and this one has to go. Will another take her place?

I have a mix, Barred Rock, Black sexlink, Australorp, and Reds. I saw a dark red hen on top, and I only have 4 of those. Maybe I could quarantine those 4 and keep a closer watch? I have 31 hens total.

Back
Top Bottom