Hen threw up a little?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by australorp_breeder, Jan 15, 2010.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I was holding one of my chickens and she threw up a little bit of clear stuff. Is that normal? Was it because I was squeezing her too hard? I was holding the side of her against me. I felt her crop and she has food in it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Sometimes, if you pick them up a little the wrong way, or more likely, they just ate or drank something that isn't quite settled, you can accidentally make them 'give it back.' [​IMG]

I've done that before.

If you're concerned there might be a real problem, just make sure she can't have food during the night and check first thing in the morning to make sure the crop is empty. If it is, no worries.

3. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Okay, thank you! I was just being cautious because I'm showing her tomorrow so I'm watching her like a hawk.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes, it happens with my quail/chickens when they are upset at being held or I pick them up funny

Completely fine!

5. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you!

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Yes, mine do that if I pick them up right after they had a drink....it's so gross...kind of warm and slimy [​IMG]

But no worries! She's ok!

7. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you! Since we're on the subject...how come when you pick up chicks sometimes they'll randomly spit up even when you're not squeezing them? That's happened to me twice with chicks. I feed them Chick Starter. I've always though maybe they ate too much and didn't know when to stop eating?

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They probably did eat or drink a bit too much. Then they tense or struggle over being picked up and squish their own crop. It happens every time if I just refilled the chicks food and water and then try to move them quickly.

9. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Was watching one of my hens chowing down on ants the other day, when she stopped, looked around, and threw up a little. Haven't seen her eating ants since.

10. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you! And lol! My chickens eat ants sometimes, but only a couple. I guess they're not one of their favorites. They love the Hen Scratch we feed them, and they love all of the fresh grass!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by